Go Big Red!

An inside look at Sacred Heart University Pioneer sports

Club Profile: Weightlifting

|

An inside look at one of the 24 clubs on campus.

Where the magic happens. (Photo courtesy of SHU WC on Facebook)

Who

Sacred Heart University Weightlifting Team

What

The Snatch (lifting the bar from the ground to arms length overhead in one motion) and the Clean & Jerk (lifting the bar from the ground to the shoulders then hoisting it from the shoulders to arms length overhead) are the only two lifts in the sport of weightlifting.

The sport is showcased globally every four years at the Summer Olympics and is regulated by the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF).  The IWF’s United States affiliate is USA Weightlifting.  The Sacred Heart Weightlifting Team is a registered club with USA Weightlifting.

Where

Practices are held in the weightroom of the William H. Pitt Center on Wednesday and Friday (5PM-7PM) and on Sunday (11AM-1PM).

Why

“Since I have been on the team, I have met many new people and made many new friends.  We push each other and make it fun at the same time.” – senior lifter AJ Cohen

“My experience on the club has been great.  We have a good bunch of guys and girls, and we have a good bond with one another.” – junior lifter Zander Behzad

“I have never been a part of a more welcoming team.  Joining this team was one of the best decisions I have made at Sacred Heart.  However, I wish I had not waited until my senior year to capitalize on my love for the weight room.” – senior lifter Michelle Grosodonia

“As a new member of the team, my teammates have been extremely welcoming.  Every practice they offer words of advice, cheer, and push me to attempt weights I did not think I was capable of lifting.  I love the atmosphere so far.” – senior lifter Chelsea Carlson

“I have loved working with the team.  It’s always fun watching the members progress from learning the lifts to getting down the technique and achieving new PR’s.” – manager Ania Kadlof

When

There are 2 competitions left for the Spring 2012 season:

1) USAW NATIONAL UNIVERSITY CHAMP’S @ SHREVEPORT, LA (APRIL 13-15)

2) WEST HARTFORD OPEN @ WEST HARTFORD, CT (APRIL 29)

How

For more information/interest on the SHU Weightlifting Team, contact Head Coach, and 5-time New England Champion, Joel Quintong here.

Take a look at senior lifter and 94kg New England Champion Don Johnson attack the SHU record books

See the full profile I wrote for The Spectrum (the SHU student newspaper) and all my articles

Categories: General