Pet dog saved in Stamford condo fire

on
Fire officials say a quick response to a fire in a condominium complex on Washington boulevard last night led to the rescue of a pet dog. Firefighters were called to the Washington Mews condo complex 1611 Washington Blvd., at 7:30 p.m. when a fire alarm sounded in Unit 23. While no evidence of the fire […] [Read More]
Categories: General

St. John’s to host memorial concert Feb.15

on
St John’s Episcopal Church will present its first annual Stephen Clapp Memorial Concert at 4 p.m. Feb. 15 in their sanctuary at 628 Main St. Clapp was a longtime parishioner and leader at St John’s who died early in 2014. He was also dean emeritus  at Juilliard, where he taught violin for many years.  To […] [Read More]
Categories: General

Bridgeport man charged with car key theft in Stamford

on
A Bridgeport man claiming to work for a car repo man was charged with taking two sets of keys worth more than $1,200 from a Stamford used car dealer a little over a year ago. Morlo Macklin, 40, of North Avenue, was charged with fourth-degree larceny. Sgt. Peter diSpagna said police were called by Elite […] [Read More]
Categories: General

Stamford man taking sex assault case to jury

on
Jury selection began Thursday for a man who was accused sexually assaulting a woman after she accompanied the man back to his Stamford apartment following a date in May 2013. Defendant Nicoli Ariel Quijano, 22, of Nelson St., is facing a second-degree assault charge for allegedly having sex with the woman while she was physically […] [Read More]
Categories: General

Stamford noise ordinance under review

on
STAMFORD – The city may make enact new restrictions on demolitions but make it easier for public utilities to perform construction work. The Public Safety and Health Committee of the Board of Representatives voted Jan. 22 to forward new legislation cracking down on demolition noise. The modification to the city’s noise ordinance would make it […] [Read More]
Categories: General

Shippan chimney fire drives residents from home

on
A chimney fire in Shippan caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage to a three-story home Wednesday night. Firefighters were called to 172 Fairview Avenue at 9:43 p.m. after smoke detectors alerted residents to a fire in the home. Assistant Fire Chief Trevor Roach said missing mortar between the bricks of the chimney allowed […] [Read More]
Categories: General

Annapolis family suffers fire similar to Stamford’s 2011 Christmas Eve fire

on
In a heartbreaking repeat of Stamford’s 2011 Christmas Eve fire that killed Madonna Badger’s parents and children, an Annapolis couple and four of their grandchildren were confirmed dead in a Jan. 19 fire caused by an electrical problem and a dry Christmas tree, the Washington Post reported Thursday. Don and Sandra Pyle, along with four […] [Read More]
Categories: General

Informational meeting on upcoming senior trips Feb. 3

on
The Stamford Senior Center at 888 Washington Blvd. will host an informational meeting about two upcoming trips being offered at noon on Feb. 3. Learn about tours to Tuscany, Italy in November and to America’s Northern National Parks in August. Representatives from Collette Tours will be on hand to answer questions and more. For more […] [Read More]
Categories: General