What’s going in where Stamford’s Kit’s Thai was?

photo (3)Looks like there’s a new restaurant going in on High Ridge Road where Kit’s Thai used to be. Capeesh Cucina Povera, the sign says. Anyone know what stripe of Italian food this will be? Povera cuisine is peasant food, but exactly does that mean in terms of menu?

Christine Hall

1. David says:

It sounds like it’s going to be a great restaurant!

Buona Fortuna, molto successo ed auguri!

2. Sorry, for the late reply here, just seeing this one. Yes the spelling error is mine! Was having a Spanish moment apparently. I corrected it in the post just now. Thanks, as always, to our eagle-eyed readers!

3. Aldo says:

Capeesh is not a Hollywood made up mafia term. If you grew up in italy this term is used as in get it? Understand? Simple food get it? Some people learned their Italian from movies and some actually grew up speaking Italian. Good luck look forward to opening.

4. baxter slate says:

I know the Fidaleo’s. No worries about “authentic” here. They’re the real deal and I heard the restaurant will be serving some of grandmas recipes.

5. MJ says:

I am not in favor of the name “Capeesh”. A little too “Sopranos” sounding for me and I am of Italian ancestry. I guess the restaurant is trying to attract a certain type of clientele which is their prerogative, but doesn’t attract me….And this “eyetalian” commenter is a real bigot. Imagine if this person commented this way about any other nationality, there would be such a backlash.

6. Charlie says:

Welcome to the neighborhood, and best of luck. I look forward to sampling your fares. Also, please for the love of god be on Seamless.com. I cannot tell you how much more likely I am to order from you (should you offer delivery), but the fact that Kitt’s was not on Seamless was always a big strike against. Ordering was painful on the phone.

7. karenf says:

A typical home-cooked meal from what region in Italy? Grilled meats are typical of Umbria, while seafood is typical of the south. Peasant food could mean bean soup with crusty bread, which varies from region to region. I wish the restaurant success, but when the name is “capeesh,” which is a slang term made up in Hollywood mafia-style movies, it doesn’t bode well.

8. Al Camillo says:

Can’t wait for you guys to open!!! It’s going to be great…

9. Rob says:

The sign correctly says “Cucina” as does the website.

10. Susan Fidaleo says:

As stated earlier the food being served is authentic Home style peasant food :”Cucina Povera”
    Our chef is Gene Jerome who was formally