Mayor David Martin’s office is asking everyone to remember to change the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors with the beginning of Daylight Saving Time Sunday.
Each year thousands of people die tragically in fires. Most did not have properly functioning smoke detectors present, the release said.
Ted Jankowski, Director of Public Safety said, “Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are an important part of a home fire escape plan. When there is a fire, smoke spreads fast. Working smoke alarms give you early warning so you can get outside quickly. Protect yourself, your family and your friends by taking a moment to test alarms and replace batteries when you change your clocks.”
Having properly installed smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, changing their batteries at least once a year, testing those alarms and reminding others to do the same, are some of the simplest, most effective ways to reduce tragic death and injuries. A working smoke detector doubles your chance of surviving a home fire.
The Fire Chief of the Stamford Fire Department Peter Brown said “We do many things in life to protect ourselves and our families from harm. Changing smoke detector batteries when we change our clocks should be at the top of that list.” The department recommends testing smoke and carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month. Plan and practice escape routes with your family. Children can be scared by an alarm sounding in the night, ensure they are familiar with the sound and know what to do when the alarm goes off.
Fire Marshall Charles Spaulding reminds citizens that they can get fresh batteries at their neighborhood Fire Station if they need them. Additionally, the Stamford Fire Life Safety Foundation is a nonprofit organization that provides for the safety of Stamford residents by providing smoke detector(s) and installation for residents in need. Residents can sign up at their local Fire Station for this program.
Owners of all single family and two family dwellings are reminded that they are required to install or have installed properly operating smoke and carbon monoxide detection in place within each individual dwelling unit as per the City of Stamford Ordinance.