Stamford sneaker robbery leads to three teenaged arrests

Three teens were arrested in a downtown street mugging Sunday after they allegedly pulled the expensive sneakers off two younger juveniles and stole their Apple iPhones, police said.

The oldest of the trio, Devante Derisier, 18, of 97 Crystal St., Stamford, was charged with second-degree robbery, conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery, first-degree unlawful restraint and conspiracy to commit unlawful restraint.

Derisier was held by police overnight in lieu of a $25,000 court appearance bond that was reduced to $10,000 after Judge Erika Tindall was assured by Derisier’s mother and grandmother –who were sitting in the gallery- that he would keep coming back to court until a resolution is obtained in the case. Derisier has no criminal record and Tindall scheduled him to return to court on July 10.

Two other males, age 17 and 14, were given identical charges. The juveniles were not identified by police because of their age.

Sgt. Sean McGowan said police were called to 50 W. Main St. at 3:19 by a juvenile that said he and his friend had been robbed on the street.

Both youths told police that they were at the McDonalds on Bedford Street when the trouble began. They said while they were inside the fast food restaurant someone in a group of teens told one of the boys he had nice sneakers. As they walked out of the restaurant and headed down Atlantic, some of the group followed them and at least three were on bikes.

As they walked one of the males wearing gold earrings challenged one of the juveniles, age 14 and 13 to a fight for his sneakers, McGowan said.

While they kept walking other members of the group began intimidating them. After turning west on Tresser Boulevard and walking to where the road turns into W. Main, the boys said they began to feel that they would soon be “jumped.”

One of the males ran up and reached into one of the younger male’s pockets and pulled out an iPhone and $60 in cash. Then the boy was pushed to the ground and someone in the group pulled off the youth’s $250 Nike sneakers, McGowan said.

At one point the male with the gold earrings pulled up his shirt and showed the boys a knife. He told the other boy, “Give me your phone or you’ll get hurt.” The youth gave him his phone and the group then pulled the Nike Foamposite sneakers off his feet, McGowan said.

An officer in the area listening to the radio heard the description of the muggers and found Derisier with two other boys and detained them. The boys, who were robbed, then identified the three as the ones who attacked them.

One of the boys said he had elbow and knee pain, but declined medical treatment.