Stamford firefighters extinguished a fire Sunday afternoon that damaged part of a detached garage and fence in the rear of a two family home at 14 Randall Avenue, Ted Panagiotopoulos said.
Panagiotopoulos said that the fire started in a pile of debris that included plastic tarps and wood that was outside the garage.
The fire damaged an outer wall of the garage and adjacent fence but never entered the interior of the structure, Panagiotopoulos said.
Panagiotopoulos said that with no apparent ignition source, the discarded material could have been kindled by windblown cigarette ash or fireworks from nearby.
“We’ve had some dry conditions and we remind people not to use fireworks especially when it is dry like that,” Panagiotopoulos said. “We don’t know if that is actually what caused the fire but it is a possibility.”