Stamford firefighters extinguished a ceiling fire at the city’s highway division building at 90 Magee Avenue that caused minor damage on Sunday morning, Deputy Fire Marshal Ted Panagiotopoulos said.
Panagiotopoulos said the fire is believed to be ignited by heat from from a nearby generator’s exhaust assembly in the ceiling of an enclosed space.
Firefighters responded at 7:30 a.m. to an automatic alarm at the building and found the fire in a generator room close to an exhaust system for a generator, Panagiotopoulos said.
No city workers were present at the building at the time of the fire, he said.
The building’s largely fire resistant construction and materials limited the fire to a small area of ceiling insulation, Panagiotopoulos said.
On Saturday the generator believed to be involved in the fire was reported to have run at an unexpected time and had to be shut down manually, Panagiotopoulos said.