UConn Basketball

with Kevin Duffy

Olander arrested on spring break

UConn junior Tyler Olander was arrested on charges of trespassing early Thursday morning while on spring break in Panama City Beach, Florida.

Olander, 20, was brought in on the charges around 3 a.m. He was released from Bay County Jail Thursday afternoon, according to the records department.

Olander is the second UConn player to be arrested since February. His frontcourt mate, Enosch Wolf, was arrested Feb. 11 by campus police on charges of third-degree burglary, first-degree criminal trespass and disorderly conduct. He has yet to enter a plea, and his next court appearance is scheduled for April 24.

Aside from a 16-point performance against Notre Dame, the 6-foot-9 junior struggled for the majority of the season. Olander, a Mansfield native, averaged just 4.3 points and 3.7 rebounds per game before fracturing his left foot in a late-season loss to South Florida. Surgery on the foot went “flawlessly”, the Hartford Courant’s Dom Amore tweeted Wednesday.

Olander’s case will be heard in court Friday at 4 p.m., according to the sheriff’s office.

1. Mike McManus says:

I already commented about AO on your other blog. He had a few good games at Mizzou but he’ll never make the highlights despite his physical attributes. The UCONN “leftovers” had a far better year overall and some very impressive wins despite AO’s departure. If he thought about going elsewhere so he could get added exposure, I think he failed. He could have gotten plenty of exposure playing for this UCONN team despite their absence from the NCAA tourney.

2. Kevin Duffy says:

You’re right on all counts. By the way, I had New Mexico in the Final Four…….yikes

3. Ghost of Antric Klaiber says:

Kevin,

I never accused you of calling Oriakhi an NBA propsect. I was just stating the obvious. He’s had an NBA body for a number of years. Just doesn’t know how to assert himself in the paint. And no need to apologize for calling Mizzou-CSU the best game of the first round. I too miffed in thinking that Butler-Bucknell would be the exciting matchup. That honor goes to Marquette-Davidson or Harvard-UNM so far. As for Alex, in the end, he did what was best for himself (with the help of dear old dad). You make your bed. You lay in it.

4. Gordy says:

Olander. I remember that name. There were some top notch athletes by namedf Olander in the eastern Connecticut area back in the 60s and 70s. Maybe a Skip

5. Kevin Duffy says:

Sorry for thinking Colorado State vs. Missouri would be close. Mizzou was talented (yet underachieving) all year….I thought CSU would win that game, but I figured it would be close. God forbid I’m wrong on one. At what point, by the way, did I ever call Oriakhi an NBA player?

6. Ghost of Antric Klaiber says:

Kevin,

Forget about the spring break misdemeanor antics of our cow-tipping center from Mansfield. How about your “best game of the first round”? You know, the game featuring the guy you wrote about in January “hitting his stride” at Mizzou. He collected one offensive board tonight. Two total. UConn fans weren’t unfair to A.O. He (and his miserable father.. apple doesn’t fall far from the tree) brought the wrath of Husky Nation upon himself not because he decided to play elsewhere. It was that I’m-going-to-blame-JC-for-all-my-shortcomings interview he gave to Jeff Goodman on CBSsports.com last fall. Pathetic. Forgive me for enjoying my moment of schadenfreude as I bask in the finality of Alex’s underachieving career and his future career in Sweden(and the arrest in Brooklyn last week.. again.. of JCM with six big ole blunts in the cupholder – going back to Dorchester for good).

7. Danny says:

I can’t believe this made the paper. He’s 20. Kids aren’t perfect. This can’t be newsworthy – if not for the fact he’s a Division I ball player. Whoop-de-do.

8. Ben says:

I read this article on the UCONN Bleacher Report!!!