That is most likely to happen on Sunday, when another unsettled weather pattern arrives with the possibility of thunderstorms and scattered showers.
Saturday is shaping up to be a nice, sunny day, and skies will brighten up considerably this afternoon. The overnight low temperature struggled to make it above 60 in some places, making for good “sleeping” weather without an air conditioner.
Early risers found pockets of dense fog in low-lying areas and standing water on some poorly drained local streets. There was also a bit of a nip in the air that made it feel more like late September. But that’s behind us now, for a while anyway.
Today won’t be a total loss as a beach day, especially after noon. The water temperature along the western shore of Long Island Sound is 72 degrees. Some local beach may be closed as a precaution because the heavy rain could raise coliform levels.
As of 7 a.m. no local beach closings had been posted and all state parks with swimming areas will be open to bathers expect for one section of Rocky Neck in Niantic. The retreating storm front has raised the possibility of rip tides.
The emergence of jellyfish on some beaches in Stratford and Milford have also been reported. This is a seasonal thing; everybody is used to seeing them. Just avoid them– they can’t chase you. And if you do get stung by a jellyfish, the best instant cure is.. vinegar.
Some lifeguard stands have a bottle just for such occasions. Sure, you’ll smell like a salad. But you won’t have the sting.
Here is your extended forecast, from the National Weather Service:
- Today: A chance of showers before 1 p.m., then a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. North wind 7 to 15 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 40percent.
- Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 83. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the morning.
- Saturday Night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 4 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. South wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent..
- Sunday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 83. Light southeast wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Sunday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Cloudy, with a low around 69. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Monday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 82. Chance of precipitation is 40percent.
- Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 66.
- Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 82.
- Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 67.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 82.
- Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69.
- Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 82.