Another weather cycle is moving into place, forecasters say, but the recent warm and wet weather pattern we’ve had will likely continue. There is a chance for another, less intense, storm by midweek.
The National Weather Service’s River Forecast Center in Upton, NY said in a report this morning that the next two weeks will see seasonable or slightly lower temperatures (into the mid 40s during most days, and dipping into the high 20s at night) and slightly higher than normal precipitation.
Of course, whether that precipitation falls as snow or rain depends mostly on the timing. The NWS said that while there is some ice in area rivers, there is no snow cover at all in the lower half of Connecticut and 1 to 1.5 inches inland, including Oxford and Danbury.
It stayed above freezing overnight along the immediate shore and today temperatures will reach into the upper 40s along the shore and the lower 40s inland, under increasingly cloudy skies.
One thing the whipsawing weather pattern has done is to bring out an early batch of potholes. Frequent and repeated freeze-thaw cycles can break up pavement, so be careful driving and walking.
The extended forecast:
- Tonight: A chance of rain, mainly after 3 a.m. Patchy fog after 3 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 39. South wind 8 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Tuesday: Showers likely, mainly before noon. Patchy fog before 9 a.m. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 49. Southwest wind around 6 mph becoming light and variable in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Tuesday Night: Patchy fog after 3 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Light west wind.
- Wednesday: A slight chance of rain and snow showers before 9 a.m, then a chance of rain showers. Patchy fog before 9 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 45. South wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
- Wednesday Night: A chance of showers before 11 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
- Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 38.
- Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 28.
- Friday: Sunny, with a high near 41.