UPDATED 11 AM
After dodging a bullet on Sunday, our region is the bullseye for a winter storm that forecasters are calling “significant.”
One measure of how significant a storm is: how much impact will it have on your daily life? This storm, because it will likely span two commuting trips, will be felt in one way or another by nearly everybody.
We’ll update this weather blog throughout the day as more precise data becomes available, but here’s what we know now:
Winter storm watches have been issued. They are in effect from midnight on Thursday until 6 a.m. Friday.
You can read the winter storm watches at the link here. There is a great deal of uncertainty with the track and intensity of the low pressure system, the National Weather Service says.
A track closer to the coast means more rain– which lowers snow totals. A track further offshore means more snow.
And since life WILL go on after the storm, here is your extended forecast:
- Today: Increasing clouds, with a high near 27. North wind 5 to 7 mph becoming east in the afternoon.
- Tonight: Snow likely, mainly after 3 a.m. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a low around 24. Northeast wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
- Thursday: Snow before 10 a.m., then snow and sleet between 10 a.m. and noon, then rain, snow, and sleet after noon. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. High near 34. Breezy, with a northeast wind 14 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Thursday Night: Periods of rain and snow before 3 a.m., then a chance of snow. Low around 28. Blustery, with a north wind around 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
- FridayMostly sunny, with a high near 39. West wind 10 to 13 mph.
- Friday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent..
- Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 35.
- Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 14.
- Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 28.