The Westport Weston Family Y and Water Rat Swim Team are proud to honor the memory of Water Rat alumni parent Maura Marden with the dedication of the Freestyle Frenzy Swim Meet, November 12-13, 2011.
Maura, a breast cancer survivor who passed away from acute myelogenous leukemia last year, was a beautiful person, inside and out. She embodied all of the qualities promoted by the YMCA and Water Rats, including dedication, commitment and perseverance. Maura loved the sport of swimming and anyone connected with it. Her remarkable passion and many treasured swimming friendships carried her through the end of her life. She spent countless hours on deck coaching and chatting after she was no longer able to swim.
A few of Maura’s notable achievements include:
• A devoted mother, who raised three impressive young men and WRAT alumni: David, Danny and Bart.
• WRAT Parents Club president, concessions chair, timer extraordinaire and official (a very brief stint as she enjoyed socializing and preferred timing at meets). She was an avid sports fan and stepped up to the plate countless times to help the team with whatever was needed. She always did so with a smile and she would have grinned at the earlier baseball metaphor.
• WRAT National Team chaperone for five years before her children qualified for the YMCA National meet.
• Coached & swam in WWFY swimfit classes for over 20 years
• Taught swim lessons in the Brophy Pool and was a lifeguard during the day.
• Received the Ann Atkinson Volunteer of the Year Award from the Water Rats Parents’ Club.
But Maura’s crowning achievement was her participation in the Swim Across the Sound, which she did with her three sons, her oncologist and her friend Andy Davis during the summer of 2010. St. Vincent’s Hospital dedicated the 2011 Swim Across the Sound to Maura and it created the annual Maura Marden Dream of Life award.
Maura lost her battle with leukemia, on September 27, 2010 at age 53, but she definitely won the game of life. Maura’s boundless energy, spirit and determination will forever be etched into the hearts of the Water Rats Swim Team. Given that the Freestyle Frenzy was one of her favorite swim meets (she timed at the meet for 13 years!), the Family Y and the Water Rats Parents’ Club are pleased to honor Maura by renaming the team’s annual meet the Maura Marden Freestyle Frenzy.