The Westport Weston Family Y Water Rat Swim Team brought a large and very competitive squad of swimmers to the Connecticut Age Group Championships, held March 7-9 at Wesleyan University’s Freeman Athletic Center in Middletown, CT.
Open to all Connecticut Swimming USA registered clubs and swimmers, this prestigious event attracted 45 other swim teams from around the state.
Water Rat results from the 2013 Connecticut Age Group Championships include these highlights:
- 10-year-old Lily Kernaghan was a double winner in the 50 and 100 Backstroke, breaking two team records that had stood for 22 years;
- Justin Summers, swimming in the 15-18 Age Group, won the 100 Freestyle, finished 7th in 100 Butterfly and placed 12th in the 50 Freestyle and 200 Freestyle;
- The Girls 9/10 relay team of Esme Hunter, Quinn Cunningham, Morgan Lenoce and Lily Kernaghan was first in the 200 Freestyle, with a time of 1:58.45, and 2nd in the 400 Freestyle, missing out on first by .3 seconds;
- Esme Hunter scored 105 points for the team with finishes of 2nd in the 50 Backstroke (also breaking the old team mark), 3rd in the 100 Individual Medley and 50 Freestyle, 4th in the 100 Backstroke and 5th in the 100 Freestyle;
- Lily Kernaghan and Esme Hunter both qualified for the Eastern Zone Championship Travel Team, which will compete March 28-30 in Webster, N.Y. This is the highest level of swimming that 10/Unders can compete;
- The team of Lily, Esme, Anne Bowens, and Morgan Lenoce finished 3rd in the 200 Medley Relay;
- A record number of 9/10-year-old Boys (13) qualified for the 2013 Age Group Championships. (Last year, the Water Rats sent a total of 14 girls and boys);
- The 9/10 Boys had third-place finishes in three relays: the 200 Medley (Justin Lessing, Mathis DeVos, Sean Rogers, Patrick Phelan), 200 Free (Sean Rogers, Danny Duffy, John O’Loughlin, Justin Lessing) and 400 Free (Justin Lessing, Mathis Devos, Danny Duffy, and Sean Rogers). A 9/10 team of Sean Rogers, Mathis DeVos, Danny Duffy, Justin Lessing also finished 6th in the 400 Medley Relay;
- The highest-place Boy finisher was Mathis DeVos, with his 4th in the 50 Breaststroke;
- Sarah Grinalds was the Water Rats’ high-scorer winner for 11/12 Age Group. Sarah finished 6th in the 50 Free, 7th in 100 Free, 8th in 200 Free, 9th in 100 Fly and 15th in the 100 IM;
- Marissa Healy swam the fastest time for an 11-year-old in the 50 Butterfly (29.08) and placed 7th overall. She also placed 6th in the 100 Fly;
- 11-year-old Mia Fraas finished 14th in the 200 Backstroke and 15th in 50 Back;
- In the 15-18 year old Age Group, Daniel Williams finished 3rd in the 1000 Freestyle, Jake Poliner placed 15th in the 100 Breaststroke and Aileen Coyne was 17th in the 200 Freestyle;
- 13-year-old Ingrid Duffy finished 15th in the 1000 Freestyle;
- The Boys 13/14 400 Freestyle relay team of Riley O’Boyle, Chris Fusco, M.J. Duffy and Mark Schachter placed 5th;
- The 11/12 year old boys had four finalists: John McNab, 50 Free and 100 Free; Dash Hunter, 200 Breast; Nicholas Ortega, 500 Free; Andrew Yu, 100 Breast.
In addition to the Eastern Zone Championships later this month, Water Rat swimmers will be competing in the YMCA New Englands, contested at Springfield College on March 17; the Senior Championship, held March 21-24 at Wesleyan; and the YMCA Short Course Nationals, which take place this year on Apr. 3-6 in Greensboro, N.C.
Congratulations to all our young Water Rat swimmers!