State warns of carbon monoxide in advance of storm

|

In anticipation of Friday’s storm, the Connecticut Department of Public Health
is warning residents of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

With heavy snowfall and blizzard-like conditions, there could be power outages and other conditions that create a hospitable atmosphere for carbon poisoning. After all the experience we’ve had with hurricanes/tropical storms in the region, you should know how to use your portable generator safely, and should know not to bring outdoor grills inside the house for cooking or warm. Exhaust from generators and grills contains carbon monoxide which can be deadly if you’re exposed to it.

Opening windows and doors, and operating fans is not sufficient to prevent the buildup of CO in a home. Here are some more tips.

When using a generator or outdoor grill:Only use generators and outdoor grills outside of your home and never in enclosed spaces such as garages, basements, or porches. Always run your generator outdoors as far from your home and your neighbors’ homes as possible (at least 20 feet) and away from doors, windows, and air intake vents.

Deep snow can also increase the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in homes and cars.
Residents should:
Make sure inlets and outlets for your furnace are free of snow. Some furnaces have
exhaust vents that could become blocked by snow, causing ventilation problems. Know
what type of exhaust system your furnace has and where the exhaust inlets and outlets are
located for your home.
After a snow storm, make sure your car’s exhaust pipe is clear. A clogged exhaust
pipe could lead to carbon monoxide buildup in your vehicle.

Amanda Cuda

Leave a Reply