Note: The Connecticut Media Group is not responsible for posts and comments written by non-staff members.

John McGowan wants to be the seven trillion dollar man

Cross post from HatCityBLOG

When it comes to strange things, just when you think you’ve seen it all, John McGowan (a.k.a. Mr. Pseudolaw) takes irrational behavior to a whole new level.

McGowan, the former 2007 mayoral candidate, former Vice President of Elise Marciano’s xenophobic hate group, anti-immigrant activist, and local access television personality was arrested and charged with first degree sexual assault, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in jail.

Litchfield Register Citizen Ronald DeRosa has the hilarious details regarding the latest chain of events in this bizarre case.

A Bethel man slated to defend himself in his own sexual assault trial is seeking in excess of $7 trillion from Litchfield Superior Court alleging libel.

John J. McGowan, also written John-Joseph:McGowan III, claims the court system has been libelous against him for carrying on his criminal case in public. He claimed he is owed over $7.4 trillion from the court system, which must be paid “in admiralty,” which is the law of the sea, through a “commercial process.”

Facing 20-years if found guilty, McGowan is slated to go to trial beginning Aug. 13 at the Litchfield court where he will have to personally convince a jury of his peers that he did not turn a 2008 consensual sex encounter into rape.

McGowan has not sought an attorney and has maintained he wants to go pro se on his case.

Assistant State’s Attorney Dawn Gallo argued there was no legal basis for his $7 trillion libel claim. Judge James P. Ginocchio agreed, saying Gallo is a prosecutor for the state whose job is to deal with criminal cases like McGowan’s.

Gallo noted that McGowan attempted to file the claim in a criminal procedure on civil court paperwork.

“There is no basis in which he can address that claim,” she said.

Wait, it gets better…

On Tuesday he filed another motion against Gallo, claiming the prosecutor did not give him a witness list within adequate time of his request for one in November.

Gallo, who then handed over the list, reminded McGowan it is procedural that the witness list must not be submitted until the day of jury selection.

McGowan, however, maintained the list is invalid because the motion he made was not answered in time.

“Therefore, the witnesses on their list should not be called,” McGowan said.

Gallo argued the state has provided “voluminous discovery,” meaning evidence and reports related to his case, in the past few months.

McGowan’s motion to exclude the witness list was a matter of him not understanding the practices of the court, Gallo said.

“If Mr. McGowan had a lawyer, his lawyer would be able to explain that,” the prosecutor said.

Gallo also argued further on the witness list, stating McGowan did obtain a copy already.

How did she know that? Because when she got a request to deny the witness list from McGowan, it listed each of the witnesses she previously wrote on the list, Gallo said.

“There’s no form in which he can address that claim,” Gallo said. “It’s improbable on its face.”

McGowan has previously tried to maintain his own personal sovereignty in court.

He reiterated this on Tuesday, when he initially refused to cross the bar that blocks off the audience section from the court itself.

“I enter strictly under threat, duress and coercion and at no way do I leave my inalienable rights I expressly reserve them,” McGowan said.

Judge Ginocchio eventually convinced him that he had to come forward because being behind the bar — and 20 feet from the microphone — does not affect his rights.

In anyone wants a ringside seat to this show, McGowan’s next court date is June 11th.


RELATED POSTS: