The Putnam Hill Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution is sponsoring a Candlelight Open House at Putnam Cottage located on 243 East Putnam Road in Greenwich on December 7, 2014 from 4 to 7 PM.
There will be Revolutionary soldiers, colonial music, children’s crafts, holiday snacks and tours of the Cottage with costumed docents. Putnam Cottage is located at 243 East Putnam Avenue in Greenwich. For this event parking is available next door at the Junior League of Greenwich, YWCA, and across the street at Christ Church. There is also parking behind the cottage at First Church of Christ Scientist, 11 Park Place, there is a gate leading to the cottage. Admission is $5 per person and is used to assist in the preservation of the Cottage.
This bright red house on the Boston Post Road has had a long and colorful history. It was originally built in the 17th century and has grown over the years into its current size and shape. The house has long been associated with General Israel Putnam and his heroic escape from the British during the Revolutionary War. By the middle of the 19th century, the link was firmly established in the community. The house was opened to the public on the centennial of Putnam’s ride and filled with relics from the colonial era. The house was opened as a museum in 1906 under the name Putnam Cottage. Generations of visitors have come to know the building by this name.