George Washington’s horses slept in Wadsworth Stable in Hartford, the capital city of Connecticut! This stable was originally located in downtown Hartford, built by the Rev. Daniel Wadsworth on his estate in 1730. His son, Col. Jeremiah Wadsworth, served as Commissary General for the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War.
On September 20, 1780, Wadsworth hosted the first meeting between Washington and Rochambeau at his Hartford mansion. During this meeting, Washington’s horses were housed in the Wadsworth Stable. Perhaps Washington’s faithful horses Nelson or Blueskin were fed and watered there!
In 1801, the stable was razed as a firebreak. It was then rebuilt in the Palladian style to complement the Wadsworth mansion.
In 1950, the stable was scheduled for demolition. Katherine Seymour Day formed The Friends of Hartford and raised enough money to relocate the stable. In 1954, the Connecticut Daughters of the American Revolution agreed to assume ownership of the stable. The building was dismantled, moved to Lebanon, and reassembled in its current location. The stable is now home to various farm tools, ironware, and numerous antique wagons including a fully restored 200 year old enclosed sleigh. The sleigh was given to the Oliver Ellsworth Homestead by the Wadsworth Chapter of the CTDAR in 1906 and was moved to its new home in the Wadsworth Stable in 2008.