Newtown School Shooting

Updates on the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting

Michelle Obama’s letter to Newtown

A week after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings, First Lady Michelle Obama has written a letter to Newtown residents.

“Over the past week, we as Americans have been united in our grief as Newtown has laid to rest so many beautiful, innocent children, along with the heroic educators who worked every day to help them achieve their dreams.

“As a mother of two young daughters, my heart aches for you and your families. Like so many Americans, I wish there were something – anything – I could do or say to ease your anguish.

“But I know that I cannot begin to imagine the depths of your grief. I know that for many of you, the pain you are enduring right now seems unbearable; and many of you may be asking yourselves, how can we go on – as families and as a community?

“Over the past week, I have been awed and inspired by Newtown’s heroes: the first responders who risked their lives at a moment’s notice; the educators whose devotion to their students shone brightest in one of our nation’s darkest hours; the children who comforted each other despite their fear; the families coming together to support each other as they grieve.

” And I am so proud of the outpouring of love and support that has come from every corner of America: from first responders from neighboring cities rushing to help however they could; from people in Cleveland and Charlotte and Juneau and so many other communities joining together to honor Newtown with their thoughts and prayers; and in living rooms and houses of worship and the halls of our government, where we are beginning to have those difficult conversations about how we can build a safer, more peaceful tomorrow for all our children.

“And I want you to know that this is just the beginning. As my husband has said, in the coming weeks, he will use all the powers of his office to engage citizens from across this country to find ways to prevent tragedies like this one. And please know that every minute of every day, we are thinking of you, and praying for you, and holding you and your families in our hearts as you begin the slow and wrenching work of healing and moving forward.

“In the months and years ahead, may the memories of those beautiful children and those heroic adults be a blessing for their families, for your community, and for our country, and may God bless you all.”

First Lady Michelle Obama, Washington DC

Jim Shay

1. Linda says:

An amazing MOM, First Lady and a caring person. To those that have posted hateful words… Newtown was a terrible tragedy for all. No politics needed. Roth Lee….please leave.

2. Linda says:

Roth Lee ~ Yes, we are glad that you are not an American. But I am sure even your own country is ashamed of you.

3. Linda says:

Mrs Obama…. I am so proud. You are a wonderful human being and I know these families are so thankful for your words. Your husbands presence meant so much to us all! We will all continue to comfort each other the best we can. I wish you and your family the very best for this New Year…….

4. Linda says:

She is a wonderful, caring, intelligent woman. She is a mother first and foremost. To the hateful posters above…..we are embarrassed for you, and we are ashamed of you. It is my hope that if and when you face something this tragic, you will realize how important it is to come together to help in any way we can. It is one thing to have an opinion of someone….it is another thing to express it with respect and dignity. The parents and families of these innocent children and heroic teachers do not wish to hear your negativity. Your bad energy is wasted here. May you rethink your words in a time of such sorrow.

5. ELCwx says:

Roth Lee – We are very glad you are not an American.

6. nowaytoday says:

You are such a phony go and stick your head back into the ground!

7. TheVolleyballGod says:

She makes it seem as though her husband just parachuted into power 2 days after the tragedy and wears a shiny red cape and is here to save the day for everyone, she fails to mention that he has been Commander in Chief for 4 years and hasn’t done squat about gun control. Really her words mean nothing and carry no healing, only faith in God will carry the families through this darkness.

8. Ray Workman says:

Mrs. Obama continues to be a leading lady in everything she does. What class! She is truly a remarkable First Lady.

9. Terri says:

What a phony…..she did not attend the vigil with her husband.

10. stupidctlibs says:

Too bad you couldn’t make it last week when your husband came but more important business, you had to go on the view.

11. Roth Lee says:

As a non-American, I don’t know much about how the U.S election system works but from the little that I know,if President Obama had taken a bold step and campaigned in the last month’s election for tougher gun laws without going against God,endorsing homosexual marriage, I believe some states, may be Connecticut would have brought in gun control measure thus preventing last Friday’s killings of innocent children.I learned from media that one state or two instead legalized same sex marriages this month after the President’s endorsement.In that sense President has blood of innocent lives in his hands for which he has to give an account to the creator of the Universe on the day of judgement.His shedding of crocodile tears to please the American people will not help him to get away from God’s judgement!

12. fuzzyturle says:

she’s amazing. Kind words at a difficult time.