Three days

Bits and pieces from the first New England trip without Tim Hortons, from a breathtakingly unusual Wednesday off and from a bloggerific Thursday:

–Edit: Updated everywhere else and forgot here; sorry. The Islanders sent Jon Sim back to Bridgeport this afternoon.

–At least McDonald’s is only a buck.

–The ongoing injury parade makes it necessary to bring in guys like Labelle and O’Neill, but it sounded as if Pat Bingham wouldn’t mind keeping a few extra bodies around when guys get healthy.

“I need to be better behind the bench. Guys need to be better, too,” Bingham said. “If we’re even just a little better (Tuesday), we win that game.”

–Disappointed in myself. I left out the “remember ties?” footnote Tuesday night. Argh. I need to be better, too.

–Always thrown in Springfield to realize it’s on the east bank of the Connecticut River. I don’t know why. A half-rational thought tells you so. (There’s this bridge to West Springfield, so…) Maybe it just never registers when you cross the Dexter Coffin Bridge. (OK, when I cross.)

–Only once was I thrown to see Bingham at the “other” end. Thought it might be more.

–No discussion yet about whether there might be another assistant here at some point.

–The Free Chris Botta movement turned this into a hockey Thursday on WFAN. Not sure which was more entertaining: that, or that Mike Francesa insisted, even after a commercial break, that one of the Leafs took out Pierre Turgeon in 2002. Peca hurt, but losing Turgeon, forget about it.

–Joked on Twitter about talking “Terriers” with Phil. I was going to talk it here, but Alan Sepinwall did so with much eloquence. Seriously, find a way to watch Season 1 at some point if you haven’t. My favorite new show, and in the conversation for favorite show, period. (Caveat: Don’t have HBO.) And you’ve gotta love that theme song.

–Was royally annoyed at myself for forgetting, in the interview with Phil, so many details of the Steve Stirling/Mike Milbury/Brad Shaw situation four and a half years ago. Then I remembered when it was, and forgetting made sense. Aha.

Nice story on Puck Daddy about the girl who got hit in the head with a puck the other night. Tough kid. Her note to Darien’s Ryan Shannon is utterly adorable. Good for all involved.

–Finally, in answering a question last night, I got myself curious and checked back a year. On Nov. 15, 2009, the Islanders called up another No. 2. Looking over the lineup from that night (the night Jon Gleed got off the exercise bike and had three assists), I was struck by how structurally similar it was to what you’d probably consider Bridgeport’s lineup with all the injured guys in, which would probably be something like

Hilbert-Hisey-Rakhshani
DiBenedetto-Ullstrom-Joensuu
Haley-Marcinko-Figren
Bourbeau-Colliton-Yablonski
Katic-Motherwell
Wotton-Klementyev
Kohn-Hamonic

Pick two goalies, but since Koskinen was out last year, let’s use
Lawson
Poulin

Similar structure. But a change or two.

Michael Fornabaio

1. Miriam says:

Aww Ray, really?! Watch him score another hat trick or something. Taahaha.

Though as much as it may stink losing some of our better guys, I’m glad they’re at least getting a chance. :)

2. Miriam says:

Aww Ray, really?! Watch him score another hat trick or something. Taahaha.

3. Doug says:

Joensuu has been called up.

4. Doug says:

Joensuu has been called up.

5. Ray says:

Thank you Miriam, but alas I am not ;) Jesse went the other way this morning which makes me a lot happier.

6. Ray says:

7. j says:

you guys should check out the walking dead on amc.

8. j says:

you guys should check out the walking dead on amc.

9. raul17 says:

I have promised not to make negative comments about the organization, but it has made some silly (read bad) off-ice non-hockey decisions over the years: pulling the plug on the radio broadcast for a simu-cast of TV’s MSG+ which cast aside Steve Mears & Chris King; firing Bill Jaffe from MSG+ broadcast; not clearing the China pre-season thru the powers that be before annoucing the trip; the split-squad pre-season games (eventhough two organizations played at least 2 SS-games); and the Chris Botte/NYI PointBlank fiasco. Throw in Mad Mike (GM for Life) Milbury’s rants about the NVMC being unsafe and pulling out from the Lowell Lock Monsters because of their “blatant” favoritism of LA Kings prospects over Islanders’ prospects (and his renege on providing players for the Providence Bruins). I can not defend them anymore.

10. raul17 says:

11. Andy says:

Terriers is the best new series on television by a long margin (and I’d probably put Rubicon second but it was clearly not for everyone). Michael Raymond-James is this season’s Aaron Paul (and deserves and Emmy nomination although he’d likely lose to Paul). I fully expect the show to get canceled, which would mean my two favorite new shows failed to make it past one 13 episode season. Sad.

12. Andy says:

13. Miriam says:

Hahahha. Ray, you must be SOOO excited! :-P

14. Miriam says:

Hahahha. Ray, you must be SOOO excited! :-P

15. Ray says:

Add Jon Sim to Bridgeport’s roster. Yes, folks he’s back!

16. Ray says:

Add Jon Sim to Bridgeport’s roster. Yes, folks he’s back!