- Who, when, whatever: Sound Tigers at Comets, The Aud, 7 p.m.
- Watch: AHLTV pay-per-view
- Listen: Mixlr audio
- Twitters: Alan / the Sound Tigers / the Comets / Ben Birnell
- Box score: Yep (R: O’Donnell, Sheehan; L: Deschamps, Frederickson)
- Game notes: Monday was the first time in over eight years that the Sound Tigers took a lead to the third period, then gave up four goals. There’s that, I guess. Historic. The last was the semi-infamous Chad Wiseman game, in which he scored four goals in the third period (in 9:03) to beat Bridgeport 5-4. Researching back to make sure that was the last reminded me of a game I’d completely forgotten that doesn’t fit the criteria but deserves an honorable mention. Look back on Twitter for it, or better yet, it’s in the Insider Weekly package. Also talked to Mason Jobst, who had what I thought was a kinda cool reason that attracted him to Ohio State. At any rate, that Monday morning skate is the last time we’ve seen them. No further news or transactions at the moment. We haven’t heard anything on Tom Kuhnhackl, who was still with the team last we heard. Didn’t sound like any of the Nine Injured were ready to return. The power play droughts: 0-for-32 (third-longest in team history), 1-for-44, 0-for-25 on the road (seventh in team history).
- Meh, what else is going on: In addition to so. much. you-know-what…. The coaching carousel took some really lurching spins this week. Jim Montgomery’s sudden termination from Dallas brought Derek Laxdal up from the Texas Stars to the NHL to join Rick Bowness’ staff. Neil Graham takes over in Austin. And I thought the jaw-dropped emoticon I tweeted at this news was the only reasonable reaction: Roy Sommer, after 22 years at the helm of the Sharks’ AHL affiliates, got promoted to the Show after San Jose fired most of their coaching staff. The Barracuda said Jimmy Bonneau and Michael Chiasson are sharing coaching duties. (Hockey in December 2019: All the reports of Peter DeBoer’s firing made sure to say it was just a hockey decision.) Meanwhile, Calvin de Haan has another shoulder injury. And Robb Stauber and Derek Armstrong were named honorary captains for next month’s (next month’s? Holy cro) AHL All-Star Game in Hartford Ontario, Calif.
- Got a fun fact on that Sommer promotion? Yeah. With his departure, guess which AHL coach has been in his job the longest now? (Laxdal went into the week fourth, two days behind Stothers.) Believe two current AHL coaches, Kevin Dineen and Scott Gordon, have coached more games, but obviously haven’t been in place as long.
- RIP, Danny Aiello, Pete Frates, Paul Volcker, Marie Fredriksson, Tessa Majors and Philip McKeon.
- If this were a regular blog post, what word or phrase would most likely follow “More” at this point: sometime tomorrow… but FOOBALL.
They've scored a PPG AND a SHG, repent
(Bardreau-scratch after warmup)
— Michael Fornabaio (@fornabaioctp) December 14, 2019