- Who, when, whatever: Sound Tigers at Wolf*Pack, Hartford Civic Center, 7 p.m.
- Watch: AHLTV pay-per-view
- Listen: Mixlr audio
- Twitters: Alan / the Sound Tigers / the Wolf Pack / Bob Crawford
- Box score: OK (R: R.Anderson, Biggers; L: N. Briganti, Colby)
- Game notes: Two games to the break. They were down Ryan Bourque early in the week but up Josh Ho-Sang in practice, so we’ll see how things shake out in the lineup over the weekend. Stuff about that in the weekly package, with a story on Colin McDonald. This will be Brent Thompson’s 500th game as coach of the Sound Tigers. Hartford has Igor Shesterkin down from the Rangers; interestingly, they sent him down the day they had him replaced as an all-star. They’ve sent Adam Huska to Maine, so maybe Shesterkin plays? On the other hand, they’ve signed another goalie, so who knows. Fascinating series of events. Meanwhile, as noted in the weekly, Hartford is 16-1-0-2 at home, and the technical term for that is “ridiculous.”
- What’s Happenin’ at the Barn: We are Otherwise Involved tonight with the first night of Connecticut Ice at the Arena. (On the podcast this week, Pete and I tried to figure out what to call it. Festival? Carnival? Confab?) After the high schools wrap up tonight (and while we’re there, tip of cap to Rich Bulan), the colleges take over tomorrow and Sunday. Chip Malafronte, Jim Fuller and Jeff Jacobs have written a bunch about that part this week. See also the Connecticut Hockey Foundation‘s fundraisers. Should be fun.
- The world still kinda (is objectionable or inadequate), right?: The league suspended Bakersfield defenseman Brandon Manning five games for using a racial slur against an opponent, Ontario’s Boko Imama, in a game on Monday. Their respective teams issued statements for Manning and Imama. You may recall that Syracuse’s Daniel Walcott got two games for a different variety of abusive language in December.
- What else is going on: Coronavirus, we’re screwed, film at 11. (Maybe should’ve stuck this under “objectionable or inadequate II.”) OK, brighter: The soon-to-be Ice-O-Topes won’t be the Ice-O-Topes tomorrow night, but tomorrow night when Bridgeport visits Springfield, Mike Eruzione will make an appearance, and Springfield will wear special USA-themed sweaters. Cool. Also cool: This story from Michigan on Islanders draft pick Nick Pastujov and his family.
- RIP, Jim Lehrer and Terry Jones.
- Tip of cap, Eli Manning.
- If this were a regular blog post, what word or phrase would most likely follow “More” at this point: Tomorrow.
Keeping signal is typically difficult here, but Sound Tigers look like
— Michael Fornabaio (@fornabaioctp) January 25, 2020