- Who, when, whatever: Cheshire Checkers at Sound Tigers, Arena at Harbor Yard, 7 p.m.
- Watch: AHLTV pay-per-view
- Listen: Mixlr audio
- Twitters: Alan / the Sound Tigers / the Checkers / Jason Shaya
- Box score: Yep (R: Reneau, Garon; L: K.Briganti, Hejna)
- Game notes: The second half started a lot like the first, with a loss at Springfield. It was their seventh consecutive road loss, one short of the team record (record-long winless streak is 15); the only eight-game regulation losing streak got that long on New Year’s Eve 2011, a fact that made me chuckle considering Tuesday’s practice. At least they can’t extend that streak tonight. One that they can: They are winless in six overall. The bright side is that Steve Bernier returned after missing almost 30 games with that lower-body injury. Some shuffling around, and with the three-in-three again, there might be some more (don’t think Otto Koivula was hurt, for one thing, and Nick Schilkey, with whom Koivula was skating on Tuesday, maybe gets back in to face his old team?). Edit: Military Appreciation Weekend begins tonight, too.
- Scary stuff in Austin last night: Former Islanders defenseman Rob Davison, a Toronto Marlies assistant coach, suffered a “prolonged grand mal seizure” before the Marlies’ game at the Texas Stars. The Marlies ultimately forfeited the game, believed to be the first AHL forfeit since 1979 (under very different circumstances). The teams are scheduled to play tonight before the Marlies go to San Antonio on Sunday.
- Meh, what else is going on: No. 1 Notre Dame-West Haven at No. 3 Darien tonight.
- RIP, Edd Byrnes (h/t: Randy Cassingham) and Hal Smith.
- If this were a regular blog post, what word or phrase would most likely follow “More” at this point: Tomorrow.
For completeness' sake, in order of appearance:
— Michael Fornabaio (@fornabaioctp) January 12, 2020